Subject: RE: [Leica] Eggleston
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:36:18 -0000

I bought my first Eggleston book just yesterday and I really like it. I'd
never looked at his stuff in detail before, only a couple of pictures at a
time, he has much more in tune with my taste than I'd previously seen. I'd
filed him as 'strong colour, for colour's sake' but the stuff I like are the
out of context objects, the overlooked ephemera and the sense of bizarre
surreality in his pix.
They're selling off his 'Ancient and Modern' (softback) at a bargain price,
7 GBP. This is the book of his exhibition curated in '92 by the Barbican
Gallery in London, I found two listings with Barnes and Noble Out of Print
service at 55 and 94 USD! 168 pages, colour of course, 25 x 28cm.
If anyone is interested I'm happy to pick them up and mail them out.

I also read a press article trailing the new Jeff Mermelstein book,
'Sidewalk' yesterday, that's great fun too. Lots more weird and unexplained
sights from the streets of New York, he won the Leica sponsored European
Publishers Award this last year, it's a corker of a book, look out for the
'burning boot'!

best regards,
Jem