Subject: Re: [Leica] Crap-o-la
From: "Julian Thomas" <mimesis@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:36:57 -0000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 9:49 AM

> I realize that I'm pontificating on quick sand here, but I do think
there's
> a difference between pandering to the "masses," who presumably think those
> Keene paintings of big-eyed kids are high art, and producing art whose
> meaning can be understood by someone who gives it some thought.

I think the problem fo rme in what you are saying is this reliance on 'some
thought'. How much, for example? At what level? I'm a great love rof the
music of Schoenberg. Others say it is 'incomprehensible'. it isn't at all,
it just needs a certain kind of thinking. However, this doesn't negate what
you are saying about artists relying on theory to back up poorly thought out
work. PJ and Street photography for me fulfil the essential criteria for art
in that the viewer is transformed in someway - the photograph makes you see
the world in a new way. BTW I'm currently doing a PhD in aesthetics so I'm
reading this thread with great interest!!

Julian