Subject: Re: [Leica] Decisions...
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:43:32 +0100

Julio,

At the end of the day, the LUG cannot make these decisions for you. My own
experience is that for your first M, the M6 is the best choice. Yes, the M3,
M4 and other old models are wonderful (I have an M3 myself) but in the end I
find shooting with the M6 or M6HM much more convenient due to the built-in
meter. You can buy second-hand from a dealer, in which case you will have a
warranty too.

Nathan

Julio Marcos wrote:

> For the past months I have been dreaming of having a Leica M system.
> Right now I have been practicing with a CL, a 40mm Rokkor + 90mm
> Tele-Elmarit, metering with a Sekonic meter. It's nice but I want the
> 'real thing'.
> Other than the Tele-elmarit, I see myself with a 24mm Elmarit and 35 +
> 50mm Summicrons. The 35 & 50 would be my primary lenses and the 24 & 90
> the secondary ones. I do travel and people photography on chromes.
>
> The thing that I cannot keep off my mind is the body. The easy answer
> would be to get a nice, brand new TTL chrome M6. It would be covered
> under warranty, have a nice built-in meter, and even TTL flash (!)
> capability. I have handled an M6 body at the store and it felt good.
> Then I think about getting a classic body like a nice M4, say with an
> MR4 meter. From what I have read (Brian Bower's books, websites, LUG) it
> appears to be handsome (is the chrome different?), has a self-timer (I
> have a self-timer but built-in is better), better viewfinder, maybe more
> consistent meter reading areas (close to 90mm frame with any lens?).
> I have also seen a Konica RF (without batteries) and seemed pretty nice.
> Not chrome, but coming from an aperture-priority camera like the Nikon
> FE2 it looks appealing too.
>
> So you can see how I torture myself every day thinking about this. Maybe
> it's trivial, but any comments would help me out. I still have three
> months before making the big leap, it will be the graduation present for
> the Masters degree I am finishing.
> Thanks,
> Julio

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman