Subject: [Leica] 35mm with 0.85 (was: UV lens advice)
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:54:01 -0500

2000-02-11-10:47:30 Julian Thomas:
> I thought about that - I even took the body out for 20mins with the 35 on. I
> found the fact that I didn't have to bother about frame lines - just filling
> the viewfinder - a lot easier.

I find the 0.72-mag more pleasant to use with a 35mm lens than the
0.85, primarily because one of the reasons I prefer Ms to SLRs is that
you can usually see around the area to be photographed; you can get a
better sense of the context in which whatever's in the middle is going
on, and you might get some warning about what's about to careen into
the "hot" area.  By comparison, using an SLR feels like an oppressive
case of tunnel vision, although the precision of framing remains
seductive.

The 0.85 is entirely usable with a 35mm, but doesn't offer the luxury
of as much "air".

> Won't the focusing be more accurate with the 0.85 or is the doff of
> the 35mm such that it will be a waste?

I doubt it's of practical concern with a lens that wide.  I do feel
more confident focusing lenses 50mm and longer with the 0.85.