Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M5
From: Gabriele Müller <hepac@bluewin.ch>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:51:39 +0100

Barry,

This is so sad, in my opinion Leica is a firm who makes cameras that are
great to work, fine quality and in my opinion best optics worldwide, on the
other hand this cameras are something for the heard. But emotinal discussing
about a camera is difficult. You can collect cameras I do so and you can use
cameras I do so too. But for the camera you work with, you have to look
about facts. Sure the M5 is no typical M body but it was a innovation ,the
first rangefinder with built in meter in 1971 it was an innovation. A
question are leica users only people who like the old fashions? Are they
against innovations? Could someone who lives in yesterday be a good
photograph?
Heretical questions I know, but in my opinion worth a discussion.
Sorry for my bad english.

Best to you all

Gabriele
Gabriele,

I, too, am at a loss to understand this. The M5 was one of the
best-engineered and best-built items in the Leica line (rivalling
the M3 in build quality). However, I suspect that the introduction
of too many *real* innovations in one model was just too much for
conservative-minded leicaphiles to accept. What puzzles me most is
the M5's general lack of popularity even today.

Here on the LUG, the M5 is essentially unacknowleged. It's like a
dirty little family secret that no one wants to discuss openly. I
suspect that when the collectors line up their M-bodies on the
shelves of their glass-fronted display cases, they don't like to
see anything standing a bit taller than the others.

Cheers,

Barry

( ;{