Subject: [Leica] M6 Viewfinder rangefinder patch flare
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:48:04 -0500

2000-02-11-22:39:03 Dan Cardish:
> I have never experienced this phenomenon (as you describe it here) in
> either my older Wetzlar M6 or my Solms built M6HM.

And I've experienced it with both those flavors of camera, as those
are in fact what I have.

Let's put this into perspective: I've only experienced the problem in
really really dim surroundings (barely-handholdable with Noctilux or
35/1.4 and D3200 or TMZ;  barely-focusable even when there *isn't*
flare) with some much brighter thing out there in front somewhere.
And in the last two years or so of lurking in the dark pretty
regularly, it's only been an obvious, inconveniencing problem, say, 4
or 5 times.  But when it's a problem, it's a problem: a great glowing
rectangle hanging like the sun in the middle of the viewfinder, with
no discernable detail you could be using to focus.  I end up trying to
contort a finger partly in front of the illumination window, but with
limited success.