Subject: [Leica] 6 Degrees and B.D.
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:08:52 +1300

At 7:01 PM -0800 15/2/2000, B.D. wrote:
>No, Rob...I did get it...and was amused by it...I guess my Six Degrees joke
>just wasn't all that funny..oh well..I guess I'll just quit for the day and
>go make a Kevin Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwhich.... :-)

Thank goodness for that! Someone finally decided to rid the world of
Kevin Bacon. Good move B.D., you've also helped rid me of an 'artist'
i never liked. I also admire your courage and fortitude in having the
ability to eat him. I'll grin here at the thought of his passing :-)

Art's a funny thing ain't it? I've been intrigued by the diversity of
opinion the list has illustrated, but so far as i've noticed, no one
has really said anything about the fact that there are different
types of spectator. Jim made a statement about there being specific
galleries he doesn't visit anymore. Fair enough. Art is more and more
created with a certain spectator in mind. In part this has to do with
the commodification of art, and different schools of artists working
with different traditions. No Geddes fan is going to admire very much
about the avant-garde, even though Geddes does owe a large percentage
of her living to it. Over the last couple of years there has been a
big push of Man Ray and Lee Miller photography/film, and the thing
that has amazed me the more i look at their images is how their work
has been distilled and diluted by contemporary artists. I don't mind
that, especially if it makes people explore some history of art in
whatever medium. The fact is, there is nothing static as far as
artistic reception goes, yesterday's cutting edge is frequently
today's commercial for baby wipes.

A lot of my post-grad work has involved dissecting Jean-Luc Godard's
films--I'm currently dissecting all of Godard's 1968 films for my
Masters thesis. Frequently Godard refers to things i just don't
'get', both visually, aurally and textually. I go away, think about
it and read a lot taking cues he might have submerged in the text of
his film, and eventually find out something i never knew before.
Because you don't get it doesn't mean the artist has failed, it often
means they're trying to communicate something you haven't experienced
yet; or you might have to do some digging to find out what the hell
they're on about. What i used to think was obfuscation was frequently
my own ignorance of either experience or knowledge. That's why i find
art enriches my life, and why i also know that i'll still be finding
out all of things i never knew about until the day i die. And for
that i sigh, and say a very large-Good.

Please excuse the rambling.
All the best,
Gary

- ----------------------
There are, of course, those who would argue that it's unhealthy to
read a children's author past the age of, say, 24. Big people are
supposed to reserve their enthusiasm for real estate, business plans
and zero-sum games played by linguistically-impoverished men with
hairy knuckles. This, in my view, is real nonsense. A world in which
it's uncool for grownups to care passionately about books --
children's books, any books -- would be infinitely scarier than a
world with telepathic avocados or real estate agents from outer space.

- ---Paul LaFarge on children's author Daniel Pinkwater

Gary Elshaw
http://elshaw.tripod.com/
http://elshaw.tripod.com/photointro.html