Subject: [Leica] Brian Brake
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:54:09 +1300

At 10:33 AM -0800 16/2/2000, a fellow Kiwi wrote:

>From: bkmercer <bkmercer@clear.net.nz>
>Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V15 #62
>
>	The "flip side" number #2 set of NG photos I'll never forget
>	is a series on New Zealand's mountains & lakes, about 20-30 years ago,
>	by a Magnum or Black Star photographer if I remember well:
>	majestic serenity VS equanimity expressed by the stoic grandeur
>	of these eternal landscapes. Photography for the gods, in full color.
>I believe the above mentioned Photographer was Brian Brake (Magnum) - died
>some 12years ago. -- well known for his "Monsoon" series of pictures of the
>Indian monsoon season.-- and, to keep on topic was an avid Leica user. M4's
>and R4's.

There were a couple of Brake's M3's and an M2 on display here last
year.  The condition of these would rival Jim Marshall's 4's. I had
my M3 with me at the time, and couldn't believe that the camera i was
holding could create images like those i saw on the walls around me
('Monsoon' series, taken in India). And then of course the thought
struck me--This guy was SO talented, whereas i just, how can i put
this? I SUCK.  :-)
If you guys don't know his work, you should definitely check out
Brake's China photo's from the 50's and 60's. One of my all time
favourite photographers.

Thanks for the heads up, bk.
Gary

"...the silence of reason is required for the curing of monsters..."
- -Michel Foucault

OO
[_]<|
  /|\