Subject: [Leica] Eggleston article
From: timswan <timswan@blazenetme.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:12:36 -0500

For anyone interested in learing more about William Eggleston:
http://www.salon.com/people/bc/1999/09/07/eggleston/index.html

A quote:

"He took pictures for a hobby, so I had his Contax and Leica IIIA at
home," Eggleston says.

and, one more:

The banal, then, is still banal, but now it's engrossing. I suppose this
must be seen as progress, but Eggleston's belief has been and remains
that what the resolutely high-minded call banality is the stuff of life
itself. It is where we live -- but not only there. Much has been made of
Eggleston's oft-quoted statement "I am at war with the obvious." Here he
is, not atypically, saying a good deal less than he means. Eggleston
loves the obvious -- he hates, and is indeed at war with, the idea of it,
the contempt in which it is held. He sees what's in the gutter but also
looks up to the heavens. As Malcolm Jones, an unusually perceptive critic
of Eggleston's work, has observed, "He addresses the meanest objects with
unstuttering love."