Subject: Re: [Leica]Konica Hexar...It ain't no Leica..
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:44:53 +0000

Dan S wrote:

> Dante, it just goes to show that handling is a subjective thing...But I do
> have one concern.  Why is a a Konica HexarRF, made in Japan, with electronic
> shutter and some fairly standard specs and no TTL, worth as much or more
> than a Nikon F100?  The profit margin for Konica has to be tremoundous!

While I agree that not having TTl is a serious omission, the cost comparison
between the Nikon F100 and the Konica Hexar RF is faulty.  The NikonF100 may
have many new features, but I am willing to bet that most of it's internal
components are used in other Nikon cameras, and that the actual r and d cost
for the Nikon small by comparison to the r and d for the Konica.  Also I bet
Nikon will sell one hundred times or more F100 as Konica will sell RF cameras,
we Leica users not withstanding. Also if my memory serves, an optical range
finder is a very expensive to build.  If this camera uses an M mount it must
also use the cam follower lever to couple the lens to the range finder.  Leica
grinds the profile of these cams on their lenses individually for each lens, I
think Konica would have to do the same.
Adjusting the range finder and grinding the lens cams is expensive.
John