Subject: [Leica] The 1950 M Patents
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:41:47 -0800

At the suggestion of Jeremy Kime I went searching for Leitz US patents relating to the development of the M, and found several very interesting developments in the 1950s.

As time permits, over the next few weeks I will try to summarize (translate from legalese) them.

For example, there are several optical glass patents I found, the patent for the Summicron DR, the two patents for the bayonet mount, the design* patent for the overall ornamental shape of the M3, and the patents for the changing viewfinder lines.

*A "design" patent lasts 14 years and only covers non-functional ornamental details.  A utility patent then lasted 17 years from issuance (now 20 from filing) and covers functional elements.

In short, the M clearly was a revolution in technology.  The features have more "gee-whiz" than we realize.  For example, the 4 lug bayonet (US 2,643,581) was designed so that there would be no vignetting in the corners.  Pretty clever!

To help, if anyone would like to look at the body of an M3 and see if there are any patent numbers, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob Rose
"Don't just sit there, invent something!"

>>> Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk> 2/17/2000 3:45:51 AM >>>
Robert,
I have one at home which dates from the 40s I believe. It seems to place
emphasis on the lens throat offering greater diagonal width due to the
choice of 4 lugs rather than the more common 3.
I'll see if I can dig it out for you. It might be easiest to send it to your
address. If you wish to e-mail me that to jem.kime@cwcom.net.

best regards,
Jem