Subject: RE: [Leica] Re Eggleston and colour
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:27:51 -0500

Jem Kine wrote:

> Similarly, his exposure to, and use of, C-type printing processes enabled
> him to find his metier in a world where previously colour photography had
> been largely dismissed by the serious art/photgraphy establishment.
> In his seminal picture, 'Red Ceiling' (1973) which was included in the
> 1985
> exhibition 'American Images, Photography - 1945-80' (which I recall seeing
>
> in Plymouth Arts Centre) he describes the sense of the colour being almost
>
> like liquid blood, the saturation of the colour has to be seen to be
> believed.

Is "Red Ceiling" the one with the bare lightbulb and the criss-crossed,
exposed wiring?  FWIW, that photo was used as the cover art for the first
album by "Big Star," a mid-70's band fronted by former Box Top and
all-around pop oddball Alex Chilton.  Big Star was considered quirky and
inaccessible, though they are now regarded as influential to many bands.
The original Big Star LP's, on Ardent Records out of Memphis, are long out
of print and rather collectible.  The band's music has been rereleased on
CD.

Since "Red Ceiling" was probably taken with a Leica, this is somehow,
barely, on topic.  Same would be true, I guess, for Robert Frank and "Exile
on Main Street."

Rob Schneider