Subject: RE: [Leica] Re Eggleston and colour
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:29:42 -0000

It seems that Eggleston was fascinated by the colour obtainable in
reproduction, whatever method, and often found disappointment in the actual
photograph itself.
His love of Cartier-Bresson's 'The Decisive Moment' was through the
exquisite deep lustrous gravure printing, when he saw the photographs
themselves, they became ordinary.
Similarly, his exposure to, and use of, C-type printing processes enabled
him to find his metier in a world where previously colour photography had
been largely dismissed by the serious art/photgraphy establishment.
In his seminal picture, 'Red Ceiling' (1973) which was included in the 1985
exhibition 'American Images, Photography - 1945-80' (which I recall seeing
in Plymouth Arts Centre) he describes the sense of the colour being almost
like liquid blood, the saturation of the colour has to be seen to be
believed.
I suspect that although the presentation of his pictures over the web is, in
practise, extremely variable, he would be intrigued with the potential
possibilities for using a colour system allowing additive, rather than,
subtractive colours.

Jem