Subject: [Leica] re: Contax lenses in M mount?
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:42:08 -0800

>I understand that someone modifies Contax lenses to fit the M mount. Is this
>true and if so who sells them in the US? Are these Contax G lenses? How do
>they compare to Leica lenses and what do they cost?

The only Contax G lens that I know of which has been regularly
converted to Leica M mount is the Zeiss Hologon 16mm f/8 T* lens.
This is a manual focus lens. To do the conversion requires removing
the Contax bayonet mount, machining the mounting flange and fitting a
Leica M-bayonet mount onto the flange. The conversion costs about
$400 or so, in addition to the cost of the lens (list at $2500 or
so). DAG Camera Repair will do it.

The other Contax G lenses are not reasonable to convert to Leica M
bayonet due to the fact that they are motor-driven autofocus designs.
You'd have to completely redesign the focusing mount and coupling to
fit a Leica M.

Godfrey