Subject: RE: [Leica] Eggleston cameras
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:50:08 -0000

Paul,
While I don't disagree with the tone of your remarks about the 'art speak'
surrounding the guy.
He was certainly the first serious photographer to work, and be exhibited,
wholly in colour (he'd taken b/w pix before of course) at a time when b/w
was the only medium for serious photographers.
His innaugral exhibition, collated by John Szarkowski, was widely shunned
and criticised at the time for being in colour. In 1976 the perception of
the Art Establishment was clearly what you are (sarcastically) so suprised
about.

regards,
Jem