Subject: [Leica] Grunchy M4-P winding
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:57:49 +0000

Yesterday I was shooting down on Oxford Street with the M4-P, and regular
Tri-X in cassettes, and noticed that the wind-on was starting to feel what I
can only describe as 'grunchy'. When I changed film, I tried winding without
film and it was smooth. I was relieved as I was afraid I'd ground a bearing
or something. But when I loaded up, it was grunchy again, as if the film
wasn't seated properly. This went on for three rolls, then on the fourth
(out of five that day) all went smooth again.

There were no obvious bits of film debris in the camera, but I did notice
some *very* fine particles of emulsion, dust really, which might have
resulted from some unusual friction. Without film in the wind is smooth.

The only thing I can think of is that I completely shredded a roll of film
about a week back -- took out all the sprocket holes -- because it was too
tight in a self loaded can and the Leica sprockets tore the leader rather
than pulling it out. But like I say, the wind feels smooth and there are no
big bits of debris around.

Any comments?
- --
John Brownlow