Subject: [Leica] friday, for auction: NY Leica II (based on III body only 200 made)
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:11:53 EST

I usually don't point out ebay auctions to the list, but I thought this one
might be worth mentioning.

It is the Leica NY II (based on three body) that Leica only made 200 of. It
is really a camera for collectors and the last one that surfaced at an
auction (Swan) sold for about $2900. So far the bid is only up to $1500, so
it might represent a bargin for someone. I will reproduce what Ghester
Sartorius writes about this camera in his book (latest edition) "Identifying
Leica Cameras" on pgs. 25-26:

       "Between 1947 and 1948, the New York Leitz Company assembled 200 Leica
II cameras using Leica III bodies. As the
       front plate had a hole used for mouting the slow shutter speeds knob,
the opening was sealed with a small metal disk
       attached with three screws."

There is a photo of it there as well.

Needless to say, with only 200 made, this is nearly as rare as the Luxus or
any black cameras Leica made, and in ten years of Leica collecting I have
only seen this one...
Sartorious gives it a RR+ rating and Lager documents this camera as well.
Serial number falls in proper range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=259114758

For those of you who wish to bid on it, my normal return policy and
warranties apply to this item even though it is being sold on ebay.

cheers,
Rich