Subject: [Leica] Re: Grunchy M-4P winding
From: Vincent Dow <vincenzoid@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:55:15 -0800 (PST)

Dear John (lol)

    Last year I was working on a feature film in N.C.
and had left my M-4P in the front box of the A-camera
so it would always be "locked and loaded" for moments
when cool stuff was happening.
     One day the winder just stopped at the 8th frame.
 I wound it back and reloaded:  same problem.  When i
got back to New York I brought it into Nippon Photo
Clinic (very highly reputed) and they told me, in no
uncertain terms, that my camera had been dropped.  I
was actually lucky that it landed right on the
spooler, as that absorbed most of the impact, but I
still had to pay about $200. to replace it.
    It made me sad to no longer see my old, nicely
worn-in spooler, with brass peeking through the paint,
but worse still, it has never been quite as smooth as
the original one.  It's just a little grunchy;  A
little tense.  I'd figured it was a matter of time
before it became one with the camera body...  But now
you got me wondering.