Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: stupidity
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:49:33 +0000

Ted Grant wrote:

> By the same token, if you say there is something wrong, you damn well
> better have the gumption to explain to them how it could be better and do
> so in a manner that isn't hurtful, as no one learns if they get pissed off
> because you only tell them it's crap.

I think this is a very important concept.  It takes very little effort to slam
art, as it is such a subjective concept. I think if we are going to take a
negative stance about art or artifacts (photos in this case) in a discussion
form such as this where we do not know personally all the participants it is
vital that we say why we don't like it and why it may not work for us, being
as objective as possible about a very subjective and often visceral reaction.

These are general comments and not aimed at a any one person, but I don't
usually consider the stringing together of negative clichés to be of any value
as a critique and by the same token I don't find " I like it, I identify with
it, It gets me, etc. to be any more effective in helping others understand why
a particular work does resonate with the beholder.
John