Subject: Re: [Leica] Whoops, rant mode again
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:56:08 +0000

Austin Franklin wrote:

> BUT, as I read this thread, Austin took a swipe at Ting Lee for trying to
> sell an $1800 (used) lens for $3300, not understanding that the
> "Aspherical"
> wasn't the "ASPH."
>
> [Austin] No swipe intended.  You are correct, I did not know what the
> differences were between the versions.
>
> When this was explained, he went slightly batshit over
> the notion that anyone would pay so much for so little (relatively
> speaking).
>
> [Austin] Hum.  I would hardly call it 'slightly batshit', I only asked if
> it was any better than the later version (and hence possibly worth the
> extra money, aside from the collector value).  I also pointed out what
> 'others' have said about the two lenses...right or wrong.
>
> This, of course, is the age old misunderstanding of the
> collector's milieu -- that hermetic demimonde where things unused,
> untouched, produced in miniscule numbers have a cache, a "worth," far
> exceeding their intrinsic value.  Then folks who own both lenses weighed in
> to justify and rationalize their various expenditures.
>
> [Austin] I do collect, not Leicas, but Minox, Hasselblad and Zeiss Super
> Ikontas, and I understand collecting...but I personally don't find a recent
> lense of this type to be enough of a variant to be 'collectable' (at 2x+
> the price), but, obviously, for some, it is, and I understand that, and no
> one need continue to justify this.
>
> I believe I am clear on what the two lenses have to offer now.  I like it
> when I learn something like this, and appreciate all the help in advancing
> my Leica lense education, however esoteric ;-)
>
> P.S.  My spell checker does not like "batshit", it wants to change it to
> "baths".  If you are going to continue to use this word, I will have to add
> it...or ask that you spell it correctly.  It does not like "Leicas" either,
> it wants to change it to "leeches".  I think that's funny ;-)

Ah Super Ikontas, I have and use occasionally my very nice Super Ikonta B
Opton (coated) It is a quality pocketabe medium format camera, My only two
gripes is I can't get past the urge to try to take verticals, and I can't for
the life of me figure out how to get all twelve strangely spaced negatives in
one negs page. Just to keep on topic, I often go out shooting with a Leica 3c
and the Super Ikonta.
John