Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Rattlesnakes in the Wild
From: "Timothy R. Kuntz" <covbldrs@usit.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 06:41:46 -0500

Bill - Two experiences.  a) eastern diamondback - almost stepped on it.  Fortunately it was not agressive, I think I woke it up from sunning itself in the sand.  Even (imaturely) beating on it with a long stick it retreated.  They can sense body heat & select their prey in that manner.  Leg shields are commercially made as well as home made.  They can hear - making noise in the grass as you walk will help scare them off (for your safety when walking).  b) I've shot one with a .222 - if it's moving at all you'll have a tough time hitting anything.  Suggest a short (18") barreled 12 ga.  Suggest you do a lot of observing with camera in hand before getting distracted using the camera.
  Good luck,
      Tim K