Subject: [Leica] Re:rattlesnakes
From: Thomas Herbert <iphoto@elp.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:13:48 -0700

After having photographed these snakes for years I will give you what I
know.

These snakes will always try to avoid you whenever possible, but if cornered
will strike.

A 200 or 300 mm lens is good, I use an extension tube to increase my ability
to focus close-up.

A gun will do you no good until after the fact (if you are bitten). If you
are not a snake expert then actually killing and taking the snake with you
to the hospital will help identify the proper species and thus the correct
anti-venom.

Many people are very allergic to the anti-venom which is made from horse
serum, so they will test you for allergy before giving you any if you are
bitten. If you are allergic then you have a problem. Although most snake
bites don't result in the transfer of venom you can still get an infection
from the puncture wounds.

Maintaining at least five feet from the snake will probably keep you safe.
Snakes can typically strike to a distance of half the length of their body
and I haven't seen many rattlers over five feet long.

Have a safety person with you with a long stick to control or handle snakes
that get to close.

That's it

Thomas Herbert, Photojournalist
(915) 546-2342