Subject: [Leica] Konica Hexar RF vs. Leica M6 - my impressions
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:32:46 -0800

A friend of mine happened through town Saturday evening. He's just
bought a Konica Hexar RF. I've seen and handled the Hexar RF now...
My impressions:

Plusses:
The Hexar has a greater range of shutter speeds and faster flash
sync. The shutter is likely more accurate due to its electronic
timing. The inclusion of aperture priority AE is handy.

Minuses:
The Hexar viewfinder isn't as good, I don't like the lower magnification which
makes using a 90mm or 135mm lens harder to frame accurately with. I
don't like the traveling LED meter readout as much as the three LED
meter readout in the Leica M6TTL. The built in motorized film
transport is a little noisy and adds little to the use of the camera
for me. The Hexar shutter speed dial is harder to work with my eye at
the viewfinder.

Toss ups:
Some people hate the Leica's film loading; the Hexar has a standard
flip-open back and auto load. I prefer the Leica setup. The Hexar
body is angular and feels clumsy in my hands compared to the Leica.

Unknowns:
Leica lenses are world reknowned for their quality. Konica Hexanon
lenses have been excellent performers. Are they equals? I can't
answer that.

A Hexar RF with standard lens is about the price of the Leica M6TTL
body alone. If the additional features of the Hexar in motor drive,
AE capability and shutter fit what you'd like, and the lenses satisfy
you, I would say it would be a good value for money.

On the other hand, if you want a Leica, the Hexar is not a Leica. It
feels completely different to me, and I prefer the feel of the Leica.

Godfrey