Subject: [Leica] photographing rattlesnakes in the wild
From: "John Robison" <johnrobison@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:33:55 -0500

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:23:25 -0800
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Rattlesnakes in the Wild

If you are serious about this activity I suggest a Leica is not the
appropriate camera.

A Nikon or Canon with fast AF and a 400-600 size lens is more suitable.

In a zoo setting, of course, you can get closer but the snakes can be
injured if you provoke them to strike at you and they hit the glass.

As to pistol grip shotguns - I grew up in the south, and we used to carry
these for snakes in the swampy areas around me.  The 1968 gun control act
outlawed them.  It's much harder than people think to kill a snake with a
handgun.  Years of shooting practice are needed.

These snakes are pretty fast.  If you're looking through a camera you're not
going to be able to react by shooting one.

In any case, you should place yourself outof range if you want to
photograph.  I'd bring an assistant to keep watch.