Subject: Re: [Leica] Cooltone (was Always use a control
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:34:03 -0800

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> >BTW: How did you warm to the Ilford Cooltone I sent you... gone cool on the
> >Warmtone yet?
> >
> >Ed Buziak / Publisher (of hopefully the world's second-in-respectability
> >darkroom magazine <gg>)
> >"Camera & Darkroom"
>
> I hear that the Ilford Cooltone was developed, or should I say --created--
> to make sure there is no misunderstanding, as a tabular grain version of
> paper, with the objective of getting better grain and sharpness than
> current and old paper. However, Ilford did not go the whole way and did not
> formulate a corresponding paper developer that would have made the
> improvement clear to see with the naked eye. Have you noticed any
> improvement in this regard?
>
><Snip>

I think the Cooltone is their new Bromide paper. Almost no chloride. Like
Brovira. And a whiter base.
IN effect a multigrade Brovira. And as I was using Brovira even after everyone
switched to Portriga I'm all for it.
Ansel was a proponent of the cooler Bromide papers. I would listen to that advise.

Chloride is warm and slow.
Bromide is cool and fast.

I think it's just a Bromide paper. Papers have Chloride or Bromide in them
usually a mix.
More Chloride and it's a Chlor-bromide paper.
More Bromide and it's a Bromo-chloride as is most papers are I think.

Chloride papers are contact printing papers and portrait papers. Agfa Portriga,
Azo. But I understand it's hard to get a pure Chloride paper they always sneak
some Bromide in there and visa versa.
Mark Rabiner