Subject: Re: [Leica] Always use a control
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:42:06 -0800

I know several photographers who for example sell a certain focal length and
then go out and buy a different one, go out and shoot a couple of rolls come
back to the studio and make some prints and tell me their new lens is so much
better then the old one. They're not even shooting the same subject matter twice
let along the same lighting. How may variables have we? Let me count the ways!
I take their findings with so many grains of salt the sign says "dead snails
crossing."
I always ask if there are two prints tacked to the wall, one with the previous
version and the other next to it with the new version. If not fogetaboutit. Or
two slides next to each other on the light table.

"Oh this new stuff is definaly better then the old stuff huh? Isn't that nice!"

Same applies to other forms of equipment and chemistry films papers enlarger
lenses. Gotta have those two prints stapled side by side on the wall.
If one of those photo's should happen to fall.....
Mark Rabiner