Subject: Re: [Leica] a simple request
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:48:33 +0100

> . a quick leica question: could a tiny scratch on the inner glass
> surface of a filter (an a36 orange clamp-on filter to be used on an 3.5
> elmar 50) effect picture quality? the one i just bought on ebay - announced
> with "perfect" glass - has a tiny scratch and i'm wondering if i should
> send it back or just live with it.>>

>Gabriele Müller wrote:

>> Every scratch changes the refraction of the light and this is naturally not
>> wished for optical instruments.

One of my first high quality cameras was a 1950s Contax with a 50mm Sonnar
f/2. I got it dirt cheap because the front lens element had an air bubble
in it about the size of the tip of the lead of a normal pencil (if you
remember these sort of things). One of the best lenses I  ever come across,
sharp as a tack, air bubbles or not. Do not worry about the optical quality
of the filter you bought. But it is misleading advertising if  the seller
does not mention this. BTW,  if you want to improve negative sharpness,
then the best solution is to get a tripod!