Subject: [Leica] 21 mm finder (was: If it works, axe no questions
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:00:35 +0100

I have a 21 mm lens and a separate finder for that lens. The M6  .72 finder
outside edges will show approx the same area as the 21 mm finder if you
move your eye to the extreme left and right. (With the 21 mm finder you
need to move the eye around a bit too, if you want to see all of the frame
clearly.)

I have found the following to be a practical solution:

For a whole series of shots with the 21 mm use the 21 mm finder, if you
have one.

For the odd shot with the 21 mm use the M6 finder and move your eyes

A very good solution is to stick some masking tape on top of the M6, in
form of a triangle indicating the 21 mm field of view. Lining up the limits
of your subjects with legs of the triangle works real well. Just remember
that the 92° field quoted for the 21 mm is the diagonal field, and the
horizontal field is about 80°.

In retrospect, for the type of pictures I take, the purchase of the 21mm
finder was unnecessary. I could have bought two used Hektors for the money.

(Some time in the future I am going to test how close the frames of the 21
mm finder correspond to the borders of the  the negative.)

Christer