Subject: Re: [Leica] leica 90 mm elmar BM
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:56:13 -0800

If the parallel Elmar 90 mm is the same as the three-element Elmar, an example
of it illustrated with photos can currently be be found at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=263535031

The distinguishing characteristics that you should not include:

1.  Flat bezel on the front of the lens;
2.  Scalloped focusing ring;
3.  Relatively thin band of vulcanite.
4.  Click stops on full and half aperture.

According to the Pocket Book (6th edition), the lens was manufactured from
1964 to 1968.  The production was 5,947 M-mount and 543 S-mount.  The serial
number will probably fall between 2.015.701 and 2.312.750.

The International Price Guide (7th edition) lists the screw mount as R-8 for
rarity and $1,600.  The bayonet mount is listed as R-5 for rarity and $1,400.
Current market asking prices in the US appear to be from $1,300 to $1,600 for
the bayonet mount.  However, I do not notice a great demand for this lens and
suspect the Price Guide is not really reflective of the value of either the
bayonet or screw mount versions.

Hope this helps,
Bill Larsen

|Can anyone help me with the info necessary to identify the so-called
|"parallel" Elmar 90MM, BM. Serial number range and any identifying