Subject: Re: [Leica] leica 90 mm elmar BM
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:04:05 +1100

JZa1058168@aol.com wrote:

> Can anyone help me with the info necessary to identify the so-called
> "parallel" Elmar 90MM, BM. Serial number range and any identifying
> characteristics? A friend thinks he has one and says they have greater value
> that other Elmar 90's. j zarick cinn ohio. e mail: jza1058168@aol.com

  Jza 1058168,    The Parallel Elmar head has a 39mm filter thread, it can be
unscrewed from the focussing tube. It is non collapsible.  The diaphragm has
click stops and the focussing mount does not rotate during focussing and has a
bigger diameter than previous models. The focussing scale is in foot and
meters.  The head has only 3 elements and has nothing to do with the original
Tessar type construction. It is, I believe a better lens, as previous models. It
performs very well in the close up region (with Bellows).
I hope this answers your question.
 Its much more expensive than any of the other 90mm Elmars. The quantities made
where relatively small. About 6000 made.  Also Mr. Rigliotti in his book: Leica
Lenses states:
"It is surprising that a lens like this has been developed for nearly the same
cost as the F2.8
Elmarit which was already on the marked the and  is a much better lens.

Regards, Horst Schmidt