Subject: [Leica] Re: the value of ttl flash metering
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:48:22 -0800

Doug,

>>I'd rather use an old non-TTL-metering Leicaflex, and go without
motorized
film transport and ttl flash, instead of losing the auto-aperture feature
of the lenses.<<

I think that TTL flash metering is useful, but over rated. I just did some
soul searching regarding a Classic M6 and M6TTL. I've used TTL flash in
both Nikon and Contax and auto flash in many other systems. I seem to do
just as well with auto flash. On my R7 and M6 I use an SB-25 (auto mode
with TTL pins for Nikon removed), Vivitar 283, and small Vivitar.  They
work extremely well. I also have a Lumedyne system. In truth, I'd prefer
never to use on-camera flash. The light is flat and not very appealing.

Regardless of when I use flash I try my best to make it look like I didn't.
I'd love to see remote controlled flash capability built into 35mm  system.
I devised a low budget alternative. I have a tiny plastic tabletop tripod
with a flash shoe attached. I can mount any flash and set it close to a
subject. I don't blow out the foreground if the subject is distant. I'm
free to position the light I use a tiny on-camera flash to fire the remote
flash via slave. I don't use this setup often, but when I do it works like
a charm. It's more practical than it sounds. Plus it's convenient.

I like my Leicaflex SL shen using artificial light. The viewfinder is
bright and easy to focus in low light. As much as camera companies try and
sell the sizzle of flash technology, I don't think the advancements have
been as large in that arena as in other areas. I like practical ideas. The
F function on the R8 is a great example. It eliminates the need to carry
around a $300 flash meter. I hope to own an R8 soon. I might like it more
than my  Leicaflex SL.

If it sounds like I'm bashing TTL flash metering I'm really not. All else
being equal, I'd prefer to have it. But  my auto flashes work the same
regardless of what system I'm using -- Hass, Leica, Rollei, I've even used
them with my Toyo 4X5. I know what they can and can't do.

David