Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Shooting snakes in the Wild...a photo
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:21:30 -0600

once upon a time Ian Stanley wrote:

> Hello Harrison,
>
> Great shot - gave me the shivers just looking at it - it's the
> eyes!!!  I've had lots of run ins with snakes in Africa, Nepal and here in
> Thailand but have never managed to get a decent shot of one.  Perhaps it
> would help if I stopped running in the opposite direction when I see them.

Yes that fellow gave the shivers big time.  He had floated down past the
dock, I think he dropped off the bottom of the walk way from the dock to the
shore...the one I had to walk across, and the reason I thought he had been
cut by the ferry was that his mouth was open. I stopped to shoot the photos
of him and he started swimming up stream toward me.  I remembered a federal
wildlife officer I rode with for a story a few years back warning me off
from trying to shoot a photo of a water moccasin that they would come after
you--said they would come in the boat with you if they had 1/2 of a chance.
So I snapped these photos and quickly left.

I found out later that the area has tons of snakes of the poisonous variety.
If you ever go to Mammoth cave Park near Glasgow KY watch your step.

BTW thanks for looking Setta up for me.  We have been exchanging emails
since you met with him.  I appreciate you looking him up.  He was one of my
best friends from college and I was glad to hear he has, to date, weathered
the hard times there and still has his studio open.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net