Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 cleanup
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:51:59 -0700

It is not that hard to take off the top plate of a Leica M. Having made that
encouraging statement, I would urge you not to unless you also take apart
you grandfather's pocket watch and set it up for twenty hour days for kicks.
You will need, or have to make, the special tools to undo all the circular
fitments. Some of them are so tight that even Leica counts on putting on a
new part sometimes. You can get the tools from:

http://www.micro-tools.com/

You will also need a manual to make sure you undo everything. Unfortunately
there are no M6 manuals available yet. One does see M3 and M2 manuals fairly
regularly and once in a while an M4 manual. Try here:

http://www.photomall.com/flpbks.htm

Finally I will quote my local (very good) camera repair place:

"Leica and Minox equipment should be sent directly to the distributor for
service as they are able to carry the necessary parts and have the
appropriate training to service these cameras."

If they will not touch it and you have not yet tackled that pocket watch.
LEAVE IT ALONE and send it to someone you trust. I hope I have not been too
discouraging but in my trade I often see where a simple repair escalates
dramatically when the owner has a go at it themselves. So if you do not know
what you are doing, find out or .......