Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm M6 or 15mm R8 which one?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:30:53 -0800

And we have a WINNER! :)

>1.) Simplicity: Because you're guess focusing and using the viewfinder
it
>turns your fancy camera into a box camera and that frees your mind and
opens
>your eyes to the world around you. It may even take you back to the way
you
>felt when you first discovered photography.>>>>>>>>

Howdy gang,

Remember, it was the first one back with the reason I chose the M6 with
15mm over the R8 with 15mm!  The key element?  The attached
"VIEWFINDER!"  Just as it was stated above, the simplicity of just
looking through the viewfinder,  putting the elements to-gether without
any effort other than moving for composition.

As some members pointed out, when looking through the R8 you
consistently tend to "focus!"  It comes naturally with an SLR.  I tried
setting the R8 just the same as the M6, using the depth of field to
cover the in focus area.  Drove me crazy, as each time I put the R8 to
my eye it was automatic to reach for the lens and focus.  Even when I
knew I didn't have to, as the depth of field would carry the sharpness
just fine.

But, it was plain old fashion instinct to grab the lens and focus...then
you'd inevitably look at the lens barrel to see what area was within the
depth of field markers. To look through the R8 viewfinder and not
attempt to focus created a great deal of frustration. And there is quite
a weight difference, camera to camera due to the size of each lens.

There also appeared to be a greater deal of "composition fiddling" on
the screen with the R8,  rather than just roaming around  with the M6
and all of a sudden saying, "Jeeeesh look at that!" M6 & 15mm viewfinder
to eye and ...click!

<<<< It may even take you back to the way you felt when you first
discovered photography.  >>>>>

This is exactly so! :) It's a kind of euphoria I feel at seeing old
places and familiar locations with a new set of eyes through the 15mm
viewfinder atop the M6. Which has led me to start shooting a new book,
quite different from others I've seen on the same location.  More about
that later in the year and maybe even put a few on the screen....if
Sandy lets me! :)

The M6 on the other hand; I set the aperture I'm using, then set
aperture markings for depth of field on lens barrel, then walk around
finding exciting locations via the brilliance of the 15mm viewfinder.
With no concern for focus, as the depth of field at times is from the
tip of your nose to moon infinity sharp.

The first posts danced around the viewfinder without actually saying the
"viewfinder" was the reason. However, when the posts started to roll in
the viewfinder became greater in the conversation, but by then it was
toooooo late!:)

The winner had come right to it in the first part of his post and
directly mentioned the viewfinder.

So I guess by now if you didn't cheat and jump to the bottom to see who
it was,   Congratulations and the winner is:

                     "ruralmopics@aol.com"

Now sir if you'll identify yourself by name and where you reside, all
those who missed the answer by a few minutes may feel better. :)  It was
a tough call, as there were a few in very early, unfortunately they
didn't hit it right on the head while dancing around with a number of
reasons.  And thanks to all for having a go, maybe I can come up with
something else Leica related in the near future.

Now if the winner will contact me on private e-mail with his snail mail
address etc., we'll get a copy in the mail right away..

kindest regards,

ted