Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon S3 millennium
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:42:26 -0800

> Nikon went to the titanium shutter curtains with the F. The Nikon RFs
> were all cloth shuttered, like the Leicas.

The first few hundred Fs had cloth shutter curtains, unofficially.  The
later SPs which were produced alongside Fs had titanium shutters, as
well as black S3s which were produced in 1963.  If the cloth shutter was
damaged, Nikon replaced it with titanium, so you occasionally see S2,
early SPs, chrome S3s and S4s with titanium curtain.

I have heard of someone attempting to retrofit a titanium curtain in a
Leica body.  I do not know whether it was successful or not. (now on
topic!)