Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon QUILTED!
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 15:37:03 -0800

Actually, I believe Nikon's titanium shutter curtains were chemically
etched to create dimples that reduces weight and adds flexibility.  As a
result, the shutter curtain is very flexible in the direction it is
supposed to, but fairly rigid in other directions, which is a good
thing.

Nikon then made F2's mirror bracket in titanium that really helped Nikon
manufacture titanium bodies later on.  In the 60's through well into the
80's, Nikon was probably the most advanced civilian titanium fabricator.

> Ken Iisaka wrote:
> >
> > > Nikon went to the titanium shutter curtains with the F. The Nikon
RFs
> > > were all cloth shuttered, like the Leicas.
> >
> > The first few hundred Fs had cloth shutter curtains, unofficially.
The
> > later SPs which were produced alongside Fs had titanium shutters, as
> > well as black S3s which were produced in 1963.  If the cloth shutter
was
> > damaged, Nikon replaced it with titanium, so you occasionally see
S2,