Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 f/1.4 ASPH vs 35 f/2 ASPH
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:51:22 -0500

2000-02-21-16:30:51 crispinv@uclink4.berkeley.edu:
> I'm in the market for a new 35mm lens.  So my question is: whats the
> difference between the leica 35 f/1.4 ASPH and the 35 f/2 ASPH, besides
> a stop and about $800?

> Besides giving me an edge in low-light situations (which would in
> fact come in useful) does the 1.4 give me better performance at all
> stops?

I don't think so.  I'd say, in fact, that I have a mild preference for
the look of the Summicron ASPH throughout its range to the Summilux
ASPH at the same f-stops: the 'Lux can get a mite "jangly" in the
out-of-focus areas sometimes, something I haven't yet caught the 'cron
at.  The 'cron feels, to me, reasonably similar to its illustrious
predecessor in the coherence of out-of-focus bits, although what's in
focus is usually a bit crisper and what's out of focus goes out of
focus faster at a given f-stop.

And the 'cron is little and handy, while the 'lux and its shade (the
use of which I wouldn't consider forgoing) constitute a pretty honking
big lens relatively speaking.

Having said that... I'd bet that 90-95% of the frames I've exposed
with a 35mm lens since I got the 'lux were done with it, with the
'cron picking up the remaining scraps.  I'd have trouble selling the
'cron off, but if I didn't already own it, I doubt I'd spend the money
on buying it knowing what I do now.  The Summilux ASPH just has such a
remarkable `snap' wide open, sharper than a lens that wide and fast
has any right to be, and I'm usually on the ragged edge of not having
enough light.  (Yes, I tried to suck 12,500 out of my D3200 the other
week...  can you say fist-sized grain?)  So for me it's the 35mm
Summilux ASPH or the Noctilux, and the former is just easier to use
(less critical focusing, faster focus throw).

A story: a friend was going Leica shopping a few years ago, and I went
along as guide.  I browbeat him into buying the Summilux ASPH instead
of... I guess it would've been the previous Summicron.  He whined
about the insane amount of money;  I told him he'd have no buyer's
remorse once he got over the initial fiscal sting.

He still thanks me.