Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Winding Again, (was BASic question)
From: DMT <dmt@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 02:19:02 -0800

Mike:

> I've been trying to figure out why it doesn't come loose when the bottom is
> on but will when the bottom is off.  It almost seems like the theory that
> the alligator won't bother you if you don't keep staring at it!"

It seems to me that the inverted cone-wheel attached to the bottom plate is an
integral part of the film take-up system. When you shove the bottom plate to,
the cone-wheel ensures the film leader is engaged where it needs to so that the
winding mechanism can grab it. If you have a relatively new cassette of film,
things will go smoothly. If the film has been sitting around awhile, there will
be a kink in the leader. It is for that reason the back opens to allow some
access to make sure the edge of the film is not hung up on the film guides.

I used to fiddle a lot with loading the film. Since, however, M's are supposed
to be surreptitious and fast, it seemed to me that fiddling with the film
over again with my eyes closed. My method goes something like this:

- - With the camera on the strap, invert the camera so the lens is against your
stomach/chest.
- - Remove the bottom and hold it in your right hand with the little finger and
ring finger against the palm (this leaves the thumb and pointer finger free).
The camera back will flop open.
- - With the film cassette in your left hand, grab the leader with your right
hand (thumb and forefinger). Draw out the leader as necessary, feeling the base
of the open camera to gauge the right length.
- - Simultaneously insert the cassette and the leader tip into the camera (the
cassette naturally into the cassette chamber, and the end of the leader into
the tongues of the take up spool. It's pretty obvious to the touch so you'll
not miss after you get the hang of it.
- - A quick check to make sure the film is on the film guides (open back).
- - Close the camera back. Re-install the camera bottom -- snag the pin on the
camera into the hole of the baseplate, lock the baseplate. (With practice, this
can be one smooth motion).

As some others have pointed out, and as the manual says, being too fastidious
leads to frustration. I've found that after a half-hour of practice I can load
as quickly and as surely as any other 35mm. Well, maybe not quite as quickly as
some of these auto advance cameras, but I can reliably load an M in under 7
seconds.