Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:APO vs non-APO enlarger lense
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:43:16 -0600

I sometimes ( well OK, regularly) dream about owning and USING the best of
something, including enlarging lenses, although the few times I've brought home
lenses to compare against what I have I haven't seen any real differences. (I've
used a 50mm Focotar for the last 30 years, so admittedly that's a pretty tough
standard for any lens to beat on my not perfectly set up enlarger.)  But even
though the quality reputation of this Nikkor 105 lens is enticing, and even
assuming I could find one and was willing to pay for it, I can't help thinking
that when my Beseler 45 enlarger is at the top of its travel, an 80mm lens just
barely gives an 8x10 from a 35mm negative.  If I tried a 105 I'd probably be
lucky to get a 5x7 on the baseboard.  Is this strictly a wall or floor
projection lens?  I'm not aware of many enlargers that go a whole lot higher
above the baseboard than mine. Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,
Kip