Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:APO vs non-APO enlarger lense
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:12:52 -0800

"Gary D. Whalen" wrote:

>   Seeing as how (like myself) most of the people in this group are lense
> crazy I have a question.
>
>   I am trying to decide between an APO enlarger lense vs. a non-APO
> enlarger lense.  I will only
> be doing B&W but I have had some, seemingly knowlegeable people, tell me
> that the APO is worth the extra money and other knowledgeable people
> tell me that I will see no difference.  Anyone here have any definitive
> information concerning this topic?  Thanks.

I think how much 5 Leica lenes cost...
And as a mainly black and white photographer 90% of all of it goes through that
enlarger lens. Plus the stuff from my Rollei 35 which is the camera I have on my
belt when I don't have a camera with me.
So shelling out a whole lot of money for some special high end APO or you name
it enlarger lens glass makes a whole lot of sense to me.
If it all goes through there it is your most important piece of glass.
Someone once questioned the need for APO when the light which comes out of your
enlarger and through a black and white neg is limited.
But it is white light or close to it. So what if it comes from a Florescent or
quartz bulb or tungsten bulb?
And white light contains all colors. So they all need to be focusing on the same plane.
I make an exposure through my blue lamp on my Aristo VC head and then an
exposure through the green one.
Both have to end up focused on the same plane on my easel.
So I never question an expendeture of high end enlarging glass. Makes real sense
to me.
I remember some guy saying he couldn't see the different between some apo
Rodenstock something and his Nikor. Didn't impress me.
I'm still using Nikors though in the darkroom as I have for 30 years and also in
the color rental lab it is all they have and where I have made 30x40's from 35mm negs.
	But some day....
Mark Rabiner