Subject: [Leica] Millennium M6
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:46:08 EST

 I have now gotten my Millenium M6 in shining black paint. It is a very
attractive camera and, yes, there is brass under the paint too (don't ask how
I know already!). The Rapidwinder in matching glossy black finish is a
perfect match and Richard Wasserman's rewind crank tops off the whole
assembly. It is kind of weird having the M3 rewind and film advance lever on
what feels like a M6 TTL, but I think I can get used to it. There is
something very nice and tactile with the black paint finish. It feels
"warmer" than the chrome or black chrome finish as well as having a slight
"sticky" feel to it so the camera feels more secure in the hand. I have
several M2's and M3's in black paint finish and I have always liked the feel
of these cameras and at last there is an M6 with the same feel to it. Now,
all we have to do is to wait for the LHSA version of it, this way we can get
0,85 finders too AND black paint (is there no end to our joy!). Yes, I know,
it is only a tool and it really doesn't matter and all that, but there are
tools and then there are tools that feel right and it is a big difference in
the pleasure in working with the one that you enjoy handling. Next project is
to shoot a lot of film with this camera and have it take on a nice brassy
look. Right now it looks somewhat overdressed among the slightly beaten up
M2's and M3's that keep it company in my bag. My congratulations to Leica for
coming up with a finish that warms the heart of a confirmed "Black and brassy
is beautiful" addict.
 Just filled up a couple of plastic bags with 100 rolls of Tri-X and some
Delta 100 for the trip to Europe on Tuesday, one month of shooting, only
interrupted by meeting LUGgers in places like London, Rotterdam, Utrecht,
Paris, and Sweden. Well, it is a tough job but I feel that we deserve the
break and I have to test the winders under actual working conditions too!
 So for those of you who missed the Millenium M6, get in line for the LHSA
Special Edition Black Paint version and it is going to be cheaper and also
have a regular M4/M6 rewind crank on it. Hey, it was Bill Rosauer's, Roy
Moss' and my idea initially anyway; Leica just jumped the gun with the
Millenium version. We actually wanted the last of the Classic M6 to be done
in black paint for LHSA, but Leica made those into Kellner-Optik Memorial
Cameras and also into 150 Titanium M6's for a dealer in Hong Kong.
All the best and see you on the LUG in April!
Tom A