Subject: [Leica] primative people and photography
From: "Neal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:03:43 -0500

In a recent posting someone made the comment about "primative" people thinking that cameras would steal their soul or
some such, I can only speak of Kenya, having traveled there several times, and the native and traditional people there.
There is no thought of soul stealing among the Samburu or Maasai people (or any of the other 50+ tribes), the aversion to
having one's picture taken or stolen is purely ecconomical. The story has made it around that some "mzungus" are
making money selling pictures of Africans and they want their cut, usually a dollar ar two. I once took a photo of a
Samburu woman who was tending some goats on the far side of the Ewaso Ng'iro river thinking that there was no way
she could see me, I was under a canopy of trees and back a ways and she was in bright sunlight. Much to my surprise
she apparently heard the shutter on my Leicaflex and proceeded to cross the crocodile infested river to collect her
payment (I gave her about  $5,  twice the normal rate). She then nicely posed for a couple of more pictures before
crossing back to her goats ( the 250mm lens I had mounted wouldn't focus that close but I obliged her anyway).