Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarger height and enlarging lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:01:04 -0800

rlb wrote:
><Snip>
> You state that grain focusers are deceptive.  Are you saying that you will
> find that being in focus with the grain focuser often will result in prints
> that are out of focus?  I thought that was one of the reasons to stop down
> the enlarger lens....depth of field.  Or, am I all wet?
>
> Bob
><Snip>
I have used many grain focusers but this very high end one I may not have.
I think a grain focuser will tell you when your grain is in focus with the lens
wide open or down a stop when the grain focuser is in the center of your easel.
This expensive one might work at the edges as well of you easel. But making
qualitative decisions on the nature of your grain I would make a print and
compare that against what you saw in your grain focuser. Things get wierd on the
atomic level!!:)  Not that much of a problem making a print at 10 seconds at f8
and another one at 20 seconds at f11 and see if the grain on your print is inn
line with what your focuser is telling you about the grain. But make sure you
neg didn't pop with that extra time. If it did your grain pattern will be
streaky like the earth is turning.
Mark Rabiner