Subject: Re: [Leica] Strap Length
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:05:49 -0800

Doug Cooper wrote:

> This may seem trivial, but I'm interested in what kind of strap length
> Leica users generally prefer.  The Magnum photographers all seem to wear
> their cameras just above the belt, and this strikes me as ergonomically
> peculiar.  I keep the strap as short as possible, so the that the camera
> doesn't swing about when I'm running, and the distance from chest to eye
> is minimal.  (It sits on my solar plexus, approximately.)
>
> Rollei TLRs are similar:  I've never understood why anyone would want the
> camera hanging at waist level, when you have to lift it to your face to
> focus.
><Snip>
But then drop it down again bracing against my chest to squeeze off the shot.
Got I love that machine! The strap can help brace the camera at that lower level.
I'll zone focus anyway. The groundglass is my "monitor."
NO straps on my Leica. They get in my way. Flipping back and forth from vertical
to horizontal needs to be free.
And I think a strap draws too much attention to the camera.
Mark Rabiner