Subject: [Leica] Fred
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:12:49 -0800

Alec Jones wrote:

> Mike Rabiner wrote:  "Fred Picker taught his popular cult the necessary
> advantages of going up one
> format on enlarging lenses but I never got his book or bought his print of
> the
> white picket fence."
>
> I'm not sure you ever read his books or newsletters either, Mark.  Had you
> done so, you would know he suggested longer lenses would produce a more even
> image.  He had it on good authority.  Saint Ansel, Book 3, Page 29 [later
> series] said:  "The lens must also "cover" the negative area with minimal
> fall-off at the corners. Using a lens of longer focal length than"normal"
> will help avoid this fall-off of illumination; it will also help ensure good
> definition at any aperture, since only the central portion of the lens's
> field of view, where resolution is highest, will be used. ..."
>
> Sorry, Mark, but he makes lots more sense than your ranting!
>
> Alec Jones : One of the "cult" and proud of it!

I didn't say I disagreed with Fred. I just said that's what he taught.
I really don't have too much trouble with him and what he says other than the
cultish aspects of his "group" which needn't affect me as I'll pickup from him
what seems agreeable and forget the rest as one does with anyone. I'm looking
forward to someday seeing his videos some day.
And the white camera bag did make sense!
mark