Subject: Re: [Leica] R help
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 06:56:20 +0100

Jim,

I am not sure what you mean by "controlling manually", but in any event, every
Leica R is a manual camera. Some of them have additional modes such as
aperture priority or program, but certainly all provide full manual control.
The most modern is the R8, which is a wonderful camera, although you really
have to shoot a roll of film with it to really appreciate it. Of the older
models I would recommend the R7, which also works without battery (although
only at 1/100). I also own the Leicaflex SL, which is the M3 of reflex Leicas.

There are people who say that one should stay away from R4 models with serial
numbers below 1600000. I have no personal experience with the R4.

All R cameras, including the R4, can use all the R lenses, although they are
designed for 3-cam or 3rd cam lenses. Using 1 or 2 cam lenses will cost you
some functionality. There are a lot of posts on these issues in the archives.
I cannot remember the URL, but I think that Hans Pahlen has a link on his
site:

http://www.komvux.skola.mark.se/lug.htm

Nathan

Gwen & Jim Long wrote:

> If I want to get a used Leica R, what models would you recommend?  I want
> something I can control manually.  Aren't there some R4 models or versions
> to stay away from?  How many cam lenses go to the R4 models?
>
> Jim

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman