Subject: [Leica] Re: now I have done it!
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:11:42 -0800

Gerry

>>I have finally gone out and done the evil deed - I have traded all my
Canon
EOS gear in for an R8 with 28-70 Vario Elmar and 80-200 Vario Elmar.   This
is to add to my three M bodies.   I think I have done the right thing <<

About every six months I pick up an EOS body and think, "AF sure would be
nice." But after a day or two the desire fades for another six months. It's
comforting to hear that you went from EOS to R. Because it supports my
notion that if I bought an EOS, I'd probably move back to Leica R
eventually. I've always had this feeling that once you move to Leica,
there's not place left to go. You're at the top. You've made it. Now just
sit back and enjoy the peace and harmony. Any temptations to move to
something else will be a passing fancy. This has nothing to do with optical
quality. I've heard all the arguments for and against. "Overpriced" "Pay
for the name" etc. etc.

Price is only a problem when you DON'T own Leica. Once you've finally
bought Leica you're glad it's overpriced (unless of cource you bought it on
credit, in which case you won't be glad until you've paid the cards off).
Leica gear is certainly a better investment than baseball cards. Which
gives me an idea. Perhaps we should all pool our resources and come out
with camera cards. That way, those who don't own Leica can at least take
comfort in reading the stats. Except that we all know that when it comes to
cameras, numbers don't tell the whole story. Pictures do! We'll photograph
Leica cameras with Leica and Brand X with Brand X. That will present a more
true picture, so to speak.

Further, Leica has certainly earned the name. They didn't buy the name, and
certain other companies have done.

Regarding those numbers. We all know that there are fewer Leica users out
there than users of competitive brands. Those other users are the people
that lay awake nights worrying whether or not Leica will ever sell out or
go under. Remember, they don't own Leica gear yet. And should a major
transition ever occur, Classic Leica gear will be more valuable than ever.
And everything will be classic. We'll have the Classic Classic M6 and the
Classic TTL M6.Even the R8 will be a Classic, though I'm sure people will
argue the point. Those of us who already own Leica R gear don't fret about
such things, though. We just use the equipment and enjoy the results.

BTW, you won't regret that 80-200/4 Vario Elmar. It is a fine performing
lens. I don't know about the 28-70. But don't worry. It's Leica.

David Rodgers

PS I hope I didn't offend any non-Leica users. But remember, it's still not
too late to switch.