Subject: Re: [Leica] Advice needed
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 23:06:33 -0700

I have been watching and no "Great" Leica-users have answered so I will wade
in knowing that any mistakes I make will be pointed out.  ;-)
Time is of the essence so go to Stephan Gandy's site for a run down on all
the various Leica whatnots. The URL is:

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

The 35mm summicron is the first version and there are no problems but I
prefer the third version myself and others have raved about the latest
(asph) as well. See Stephen's site for more detail.

The 90mm lenses are easy to choose amongst. You need f2.0 and do not mind
the weight and size; or, you do not need f2.0 and mind the weight and size.
Both are remarkably similar in performance, fine for their day but a little
soft wide open and close. The newest incarnations are spectacular performers
and the newest 90mm f2.8, though a little large, is reasonably priced as
well.

I hope you realise that you will need an accessory viewfinder to use the
35mm on the M3. The Leica one is expensive. Unless the 35mm you are looking
at has the optical "bugeyes" for correcting the 50mm frame to cover 35mm
field of view.

I hope this is helpful

John Collier

PS: I have the 90mm f2.8 tele-elmarit and like it very much. Some people
complain it is too small but I like its size.