Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Horror Stories
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 10:11:39 -0700

"Jerry S. Justianto" wrote:

> Probably you already read my message where I drop my 35 cron ASPH lense to a
> marble tile from table and nothing is happening.  The Leica lense built like
> a tank!
>
> Can I hear another horror stories of Leica?

I once had a new 50/2.8 Elmar fall off my M4 onto a wet San Francisco
sidewalk. The lens landed on it's backside with a dull "thud" sparing
the glass but denting some of the metal and making operation rough. It
came back from Passport service still dented but working okay. The
original lenscap is swimming with the trout in the Platte River; it
must've fallen when I was photographing a power plant in downtown
Denver.

Can't do much about lost lenscaps, but I modified the M4 by adding a
finger guard to the guilty lens release; this was quite expensive but
came with a new M6 body attached ;-)

A worse horror story fortunately wasn't mine directly: I was given a
Leica IIIc which would've been pretty fair game for a restoration save
that someone had tried to do a home repair on it, had slipped repeatedly
with the screwdriver, driving furrows into the chrome finish. And the
finder windows must not have unscrewed easily, so they applied pliers
and mashed the parts into ovals!
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado