Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica prices
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:39:03 -0700

Mike Johnston wrote:

> If you look at it that way, the "cost" of using Leica M gear is really
> pretty absurdly low. It would be very cheap right now for newcomers to
> try an M6, for instance. You can get users for $1300-$1500 and they're
> just not going to lose very much value--they may even gain value. A
> $1400 used M6 bought today is certainly not going to be worth $450 in
> three or four years,

Kind of OT I suppose, but let's not mistake Leicas for investment
vehicles right now! If you want to make money or hang onto what you've
got, buy $1500 worth of Palm Computing stock and buy a brand-new M6 and
some lenses from the proceeds in six months. This NASDAQ gravy train
won't last forever, but for now, the getting's spectacularly good if you
choose well.

More on-topic: For the fun of it, I've been thinking to take $1K or so
and see whether careful investment will net me a new 120 CFi
Makro-Planar or LHSA M6 and change, taking all taxes into account.

- ----
Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado